OEO Advisory Team
City of Portland
Office of Economic Opportunity Advisory Team
- Suheir Alaskari
- Julia Brown
- Donna Gaspar Jarvis
- John Ochira
- Shawna Ohm
- Andy Osheroff
- Nasser Rohani
- Beth Stickney
- Sally Sutton
- Kwame Yeboah
The group is convened by the Office of Economic Opportunity.
To provide recommendations in order to ensure that the actions of OEO’s Strategic Plan for Inclusion remain relevant, are held accountable and are eventually fulfilled
- The mission of the Office of Economic Opportunity is to convene and leverage public and private partners to assure optimal communication and collaboration so that OEO’s focus population (racially and ethnically diverse populations, including immigrants and refugees, as well as other underserved populations) have access to jobs and related support services as well as economic opportunities.
- Support OEO in its mission.
- Review progress of the Strategic Plan on a quarterly basis or upon consensus and determined by the group.
- Leverage existing actions in order to stay on track and make revisions to the Strategic Plan when necessary.
- Assist with implementation of data collection & accountability matrix.
- Review quantitative and qualitative data in order to make informed recommendations affecting OEO and its focus population (immigrants and refugees, people of color and other underserved populations)
- Stay informed and up-to-date of local and regional efforts which impact OEO’s focus population.
- Improve visibility of citywide programs and initiatives focused on achieving outcomes related to OEO’s mission.
- Assist with carrying out project activities unique to OEO.
- Foster a collaborative/ripple-effect community impact process.
The Advisory Team selected shall commit to:
- Assess progress and achieve results.
- Adopt a supplement vs. supplant (build upon vs. duplicate) culture to maximize collective resources and results.
- Leverage existing assets available in the city to achieve citywide results.
- Align, coordinate and track efforts to achieve citywide results.
- Apply informed decision-making to every strategic decision.
- Embrace a continuous quality improvement culture by tracking progress and proposing corresponding strategies.
The Team shall consist of eleven (11) members appointed by the Director of the Office of Economic Opportunity who reside within the city of Portland and/or represent an area organization serving the focus populations listed above. The majority (51%) of members shall consist of members of the focus population served by OEO. The Team shall serve an initial one year term.
Interested applicants shall submit an application.
If any member is absent from three regularly scheduled meetings in any one calendar year, a recommendation shall be made to OEO’s Director that s/he be replaced through the usual appointment process.
The commitment is for one year. The group will meet on a quarterly basis for two hours at a time. The dates and times of the meetings will be agreed upon by the team. The Team can meet more frequently as needed. A quorum shall consist of the majority of members. Special meetings can be called by OEO’s director or by any four members. Decision making will be by consensus.