After having to cancel last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Portland is pleased to announce it will host a fireworks only display for the Fourth of July this year. The display will be held on Sunday, July 4, in its usual spot on the Eastern Promenade with the fireworks set to go off around 9:15 PM. A rain date is scheduled for Monday, July 5.
In an effort to not encourage a mass gathering, there will be no musical performance, VIP Area, or ticketed element to this year's celebration, and the City will not be providing or managing food vendors as has happened in the past.
The City would like to remind the public that the fireworks can be seen from other locations than the Eastern Promenade. These locations include East End Beach, Fort Allen Park, Amethyst Park, Baxter Boulevard, Payson Park, Martin’s Point on Veranda Street, and Bug Light in South Portland.
The fireworks will be live streamed at newscentermaine.com, NEWS CENTER Maine mobile app, Roku, Fire TV and their YouTube channel so people can enjoy it remotely.
Street Closures and Parking Restrictions
Cutter Street and all the parking lots on Cutter Street will be closed from 10:00 PM July 3rd to 6:30 AM July 5th or 6:30 AM, July 6th if a rain date is necessary. The East End Boat Launch will be available for Boaters (drop off/pick up only) until 6:30 PM on July 4th or July 5th if a rain date is necessary. Boaters can access alternate launches nearby including the Falmouth Town Landing on Route 88 (207-781-7317), Fore River Boat Launch in Bug Light Park in South Portland (207-767-7650) and Portland Yacht Services (207-774-1067).
The on-street parking will be restricted for the following streets from 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM, July 4th (rain date would extend closures to 11:00 PM July 5):
- Eastern Promenade (both sides) from Morning Street to Washington Avenue
- Fort Allen Park (both sides)
- Walnut Street (one side) from Eastern Promenade to Washington Avenue Waterville Street (one side) from Fore Street to Adams Street
- Adams Street (one side) from Kellogg Street
- Kellogg Street (one side) from Adams Street to Congress Street
There are a number of parking garages and lots just a short walk from the Eastern Promenade. to view a list or map. visit the City’s website at https://www.portlandmaine.gov/parking/offstreet.asp
At 5:30 PM on July 4th, the following streets will be closed to the public until 11:00 PM (rain date would extend closures to 11:00 PM July 5):
- Eastern Promenade from Morning Street to Washington Avenue
- Wilson Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Moody Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Congress Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Turner Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Quebec Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Melbourne Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Montreal Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Walnut Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade
At 6:30 PM on July 4th, all of Munjoy Hill will be closed and the Eastern Prom will be closed to traffic (from Washington Avenue up) until 11:00 PM (rain date would extend closures to 11:00 PM July 5):
- Mountfort Street at Fore Street and Congress Street
- Washington Avenue at Marion Street, Cumberland Avenue, Walnut Street, and Eastern Promenade
- Congress Street at Washington Avenue and Mountfort Street
Alternate Fireworks Display Viewing Locations
Although, the Fireworks Display can be seen from Eastern Promenade, other viewing locations are East End Beach, Fort Allen Park, Amethyst Park, Baxter Boulevard, Payson Park, Martin’s Point on Veranda Street, and Bug Light (South Portland)
Licensed food trucks are welcomed to set up on the water side of Eastern Promenade from Congress Street (Cleeves Monument) to Cutter Street. Food trucks must adhere to all Emergency No Parking signage outside of the stated designated area. All food trucks must provide their own trash receptacles, and must either depart prior to 5:30 PM or remain in place until 11:00 PM.