ATTENTION!! DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC:
The Aquatics schedule, including COVID-19 protocols are posted below but will be subject to change as needed to reflect changes in the Executive Orders issued by Governor Mills as well as changes in guidance from the Maine CDC and the Portland City Council.
- Riverton is open, Kiwanis Pool will open on June 14th please see the Summer Schedule
- Reiche pool will remain closed to the public until September 2021.
Please check back for updates.
Covid -19 Aquatics Information
Pool Information Spring and Summer 2021
Equipment: Lap swimmers, PPSC and Masters will need to bring their own kick boards, pull buoys and flippers. Instructional equipment such as pool noodles, bubble belts and aqua jogging belts will be limited and sanitized between patrons.
Adult Lap Swim
We are taking reservations through our Community Pass registration software for adult lap swim times (ages 18 and over). To make a reservation for adult lap swim, create an account on the Community Pass Home Page and then click "Browse Activities." We will leave each of the time slots with half capacity left for walk-in. The lifeguards will blow their whistle at the end of each time slot and ask patrons to clear the pool.
Per State CDC guidelines for group exercise, it will be the only program in the pool at the time with a limit of 20 participants spaced 6 ft apart with instructor wearing a face shield in the water. Drop-ins accepted, reservations preferred (set-up like lap swim)
Lap Swim & Aerobics
Aquatic staff will meet the pool patrons at the community center doors to check people in. No swimmer, reserved or drop-in will be able to enter 5-minutes prior to the start of each swim. We ask that you arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your start time.
Priority check-in will be given to those swimmers who have reservations. Drop-ins will be processed as space allows.
Will be set up in a private lesson format to allow for only 4 people in the pool at any one time, 4 on the deck and one lifeguard to help maintain proper physical distancing (6ft.) within the deck and pool area.
- All lessons have moved to a small group format. For both Parent & Child (parent or adult from the household in the water with the child; 30 minutes) and Level 4 and up (independent swimmers; 45 minutes) lessons will be limited to a total of 6 participants to allow for social distancing.
- Preschool Swims, as well as Levels 1 and 2 will be 30 minutes and have a limit of 3 total students. Level 3 will be 45 minutes and have a limit of 4 total students.
- Adult beginner lessons will be held on Tuesday nights at Riverton. They will meet for 45 minutes once a week with a total of 6 participants.
- Start/end times of lessons will be staggered in 15 minute increments to allow for social distancing and sanitizing.
- Riverton pool will be offering lessons once a week for four weeks on Tues or Thurs afternoons for two sessions beginning the week of June 14th.. Kiwanis Pool will offer lessons on Mon, Wed, Fri mornings for three, 2-week sessions beginning June 28th. Summer Swim Lesson Schedule
- Due to gathering limits, our observation policy is: 1 parent only will be allowed to watch the first and last lesson of each session. Parents must remain on bleachers seated on one of the designated red "x's" while maintaining proper social distancing and wearing masks.
- We ask that if you or a family member are not feeling well that you do not attend swimming on that day. If you, a family member or caregiver test positive for Covid-19 that you follow the CDC guidelines and quarantine for 14 days and be symptom free before returning to programs.
Our lesson program continues to follow the guidelines and skill acquisition of the American Red Cross Learn- to -Swim program; however, the following factors may impact how quickly children progress through the levels.
- The need to complete skills with greater independence—adhering to social distancing guidelines put forth by the CDC children are receiving less physical support from instructors.
- Shorter session i.e., in respect to the number of weeks.
- Comfort of the swimmer to complete skills independently.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your child’s progress, please contact Colleen Lepage, Aquatic Supervisor, at 874-8456, or Rose Cronin for Therapeutic Aquatic lessons at 808-5437. Thank you for your time and understanding.
Aquatic Program Registration:
- Register ONLINE
- Register IN PERSON: complete a registration form (youth aquatic form); (adult aquatic form) include your payment, and drop into the secure lock box across from the Riverton Pool office door at 1600 Forest Ave.
- Register BY MAIL: send form and payment to:
212 Canco Road, Suite A
Portland, ME 04103
- Register BY FAX: 207-878-2731