due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and city hall closure, Passport services are suspended until further notice. for more information, please visit WWW.TRAVEL.STATe.gov
City Hall offers first-time passport applications by appointment only in the City Manager’s office, Room 208, Portland City Hall. Please call 207-874-8685, to schedule an appointment.
For walk in services, please visit the Portland Post Office at 125 Forest Ave, Portland ME 04101, 207-871-8423.
You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:
- You are applying for your first U.S. passport
- You are under age 16
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to Renew using Form DS-82.
What to submit with your passport application form:
PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP: Evidence of U.S. citizenship AND a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) must be submitted with your application. The photocopy must be on 8 ½ inch by 11 inch paper, black and white ink, legible, and clear. Evidence that is not damaged, altered, or forged will be returned to you. Note: Lawful permanent resident cards submitted with this application will be forwarded to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, if we determine that you are a U.S. citizen.
PROOF OF IDENTITY: You must present your original identification AND submit a photocopy of the front and back with your passport application.
RECENT COLOR PHOTOGRAPH: Photograph must meet passport requirements – full front view of the face and 2x2 inches in size.
- $35.00 check, money order, or cash payable to the City of Portland for each application;
- $110 check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State of applicants age 16 or older;
- $80 check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for applicants age 15 or younger (both parents must be present as well as the applicant);
- A separate check or money order is required for each passport book application;
City of Portland offers passport photo service for $15.00 per photo.
****Application must be signed in the presence of a Passport Acceptance Agent.****
Requirements for children:
AS DIRECTED BY PUBLIC LAW 106-113 AND 22 CFR 51.28:
To submit an application for a child under age 16 both parents or the child’s legal guardian(s) must appear and present the following:
- Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship;
- Evidence of the child’s relationship to parents/guardian(s); AND
- Original parental/guardian government-issued identification AND a photocopy of the front and back side of presented identification.
IF ONLY ONE PARENT APPEARS, YOU MUST ALSO SUBMIT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Second parent’s notarized written statement or DS-3053 (including the child’s full name and date of birth) consenting to the passport issuance for the child. The notarized statement cannot be more than three months old and must be signed and notarized on the same day, and must come with a photocopy of the front and back side of the second parent’s government-issued photo identification; OR
- Second parent’s death certificate if second parent is deceased; OR
- Primary evidence of sole authority to apply, such as a court order; OR
- A written statement or DS-5525 (made under penalty of perjury) explaining in detail the second parent’s unavailability.
AS DIRECTED BY REGULATION 22 C.F.R. 51.21 AND 51.28:
- Each minor child applying for a U.S. passport book and/or passport card must appear in person.
FOR INFORMATION AND QUESTIONS:
Visit the Department of State website at U.S Department of State or contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 (TDD: 1-888-874-7793) or by email at NPIC@state.gov. Customer Service Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8:00a.m.-10:00p.m. and Saturday 10:00a.m.-3:00p.m. Eastern Time (excluding federal holidays). Automated information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
PORTLAND CITY HALL IS AN AUTHORIZED U.S. PASSPORT ACCEPTANCE FACILITY.