Rental Registration

All property owners are required to annually register residential rental units with the City's Licensing and Registration Office by December 31st or within thirty (30) days of renting a property.  This includes rooms, apartments, condominiums and houses.  The annual registration fee may be reduced with eligible discounts.  Eligible discounts include: Fee discounts. Failure to register may result in a fine of at least $100 per day.  

Registering your residential property is important for tenant safety and the contact information is used to communicate with you to resolve code violations, connect during an emergency and to schedule a rental inspection.


By completing a registration which includes:
  1. Registering using a downloadable PDF FORM returned by email, fax, mail, or in person. 
  2. Submitting documentation for discounts; and
  3. Paying for your registration.
For more information about registration or to download the registration form visit the Licensing & Registration Office in Room 307 of City Hall, call (207) 756-8131 or (207) 874-8557.

After the registration information has been verified, an invoice will be sent by email to the party requesting registration. Once you receive your invoice, you have the option to pay the fee online.

Discount Documentation

Submit your Discount Documents by mail, or email to 

Use your invoice number to pay online at the CSS portal or mail your check to Licensing & Registration Office, Room 307, City Hall, 389 Congress Street, Portland Maine 04101. Reference your Registration Number or Address when you make your payment.

Please make checks made payable to the CITY OF PORTLAND

Note: Owners and property managers that would like to register multiple properties should contact the Licensing and Registration office for assistance.

Guidance on Rental Units

A rental unit can be a rented room, apartment, house, or condominium for any length of time including:
  • Long term (>30 days) - Leased or month-to-month residential rentals; or
  • Short term (<30 days) - Any type of overnight, weekly or summer or winter residential rental through AirBNB, similar websites and other means.
  • Overnight lodging where the State of Maine has issued a food service license is exempt from registering (hotel, motel, etc).

Please note: An owner occupying a unit is not required to register the unit they occupy, but must register the rental units, and have their own unit inspected for safety purposes.  We inspect the entire building because a fire or other hazard may impact the safety of the rental units.