Marriage Licenses

for information on how to obtain a marriage license, During City hall Closure to external visitors, please call the clerk's office:       M-F 9:00AM to 4:00pm  207-874-8610

 Due to the anticipated high volume of absentee voting, Oct. 1st thru Nov. 5th, there will be no Marriage ceremonies. Marriage licenses can still be obtained.

Filing of Marriage Intentions

Residents of the state intending to be joined in marriage are required to record notice of their intentions in person (both parties must be present) in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides. Currently, with the closure of City Hall, this also may be done via mail.The parties must file the Intentions of Marriage Forms.,with their original signatures notarized(no electronic copies) and **accompanying documents with $40 license fee and a Self Addressed, with Postage Stamped, Envelope. In keeping with ongoing efforts to improve customer service, and in order to expedite the implementation of a new data entry process, the intentions forms should be filled out prior to 4:00 P.M. in the City of Portland Clerk's Office. Out-of-state residents may file their Intentions in any municipal office.

Marriage License Validity

This marriage license is valid in any community in Maine for a period of 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.

**Previous Marriages

If either party has been previously married, the certified document of the divorce decree or death certificate must be presented to the clerk.
If you were divorced outside of the United States:
If your divorce decree is not in English, in addition to providing a certified copy of the original judgment, you must provide a notarized English translation of the judgement, done by a disinterested third party, such as a language translation service.

Marriage Ceremony AT CITY HALL

If you are planning on getting married in City Hall, the following are available:

For marriage ceremonies performed by notary staff in the City Clerk’s office there are two options.

  1. Basic Marriage performed at the counter in the City Clerk’s office. This is a short vow pronouncement. No appointment or advanced notice necessary.    
  2. Marriage Package, consisting of choice of ceremony performed by notary staff of the City Clerk’s Office in the City of Portland’s grand State of Maine Room which features a decorated LED candle lit mantle. Minimum of two weeks prior notice required. For more details view Marriage Package Application.

The above are available Monday-Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM*     FMI  call 874-8610.
Marriage ceremonies not performed at the counter or not part of the Marriage Package are only permitted to take place in the State of Maine Room of City Hall and performed by the couples' own Notary or Officiant. To reserve the room for use during M-F business hours, call the City Clerk's office at 874-8617. One month advance notice required.

For after hour rentals, please contact the Parks, Recreation and Facilities  Office at 207-808-5400.  The room rental is $500.00 with four (4) hour maximum.   

Videotaping and cameras are permitted to be used during marriage ceremonies performed in the City Clerk’s office or the State of Maine Room.

Only the City Clerk’s office or the State of Maine room can be used to conduct marriage ceremonies in Portland City Hall. 

*Intentions of Marriage forms should be completed by 4:00P.M. prior to ceremony


Marriage license - $40.
Marriage Ceremony, City Clerk's Office - $125
Marriage Ceremony Package - $300
Certified Copies - $15 charge per copy for the first copy, and $6 for additional
State of Maine room $60/hour (M-F 9:00am-4:00pm)